Tuesday 30 March 2010

Dipping at Dormans

Sunday 28 March 2010

After having house guests over the weekend, I decided to make a quick dash to Teesside for a shot at the Great White Egret, but alas too late to connect. I had a good scout around Dormans Pool and had a good crack on with Tim Dredge, who also missed the GWE. We did however get Peregrine and Kestrel and a Little Egret towards the fire station. Plenty of Tufties, Pochard and Coot about as usual. A good number of GC Grebes as well. Curlew in the field towards the railway line and a few overflying Shelduck.

Pochard

I couldn't locate the BN Grebe on Rec Pond but did find two redhead Smew that seem to be enjoying their residency here.

Recorded my first Avocets of the year, with one on the newly refurbished island on the Saline Lagoon and a further nine on the pools to the north of Greatham Creek. Plenty of Redshank and Shoveler around but no sign of the LRP, well not for me anyway. There had been three sighted at Back Saltholme, but they were invisible to my eyes at distance in fading light. I always enjoy seeing the parties of grey and Common Seals around the Creek, hauled out to the west of the bridge on this occasion. The odd Oystercatcher and teal on the Creek itself and a few Canada Geese and Redshank, plus the occasional BH Gull.

Avocet

A return to Dormans did reward me with a singing Cetti's Warbler, visible for a few moments at the top of the path to the north of the top car park. Not quite the same scale as GWE, but a pleasure none the less.

I could do with some better birding luck over Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment